On this week’s episode of “Conversations with Nicholas Kralev,” Jimmy Mauldin, a Foreign Service officer currently serving in India, talks about his unlikely path from the peanut fields of Alabama to American diplomacy, and about raising a family in the Foreign Service.
Mauldin also talks about his experience with the written and oral Foreign Service exams, the training he received, and serving in Pakistan, where he was separated from his wife, Jennifer, and their four children. Jennifer joins him to discuss being a spouse in the Foreign Service.
Watch the full episode
Ep19: Foreign Service Institute Director Nancy McEldowney
Ep18: Asian-Pacific Diplomacy with Kurt Campbell
Ep17: Chief U.S. Aviation Negotiator Krishna Urs
Ep16: British Ambassador to U.S. Peter Westmacott
Ep15: Innovation in Managing Diplomatic Missions
Ep14: West Point Superintendent Lt. Gen. Robert Caslen
Ep13: Voice of America Director David Ensor
Ep12: U.S. Global Sanctions Coordinator Daniel Fried
Ep11: Sports Diplomacy with Michelle Kwan
Ep10: Spying and Diplomacy with John Negroponte
Ep9: Media and Diplomacy with P.J. Crowley
Ep8: Indian Ambassador to U.S. Nirupama Rao
Ep7: Professionalizing Diplomacy with Susan Johnson
Ep6: Foreign Service Director-General
Ep5: U.S. Public Diplomacy with Tara Sonenshine
Ep4: Deputy Secretary of State William Burns
Ep3: U.S. Visa Policies with Janice Jacobs
Ep2: Ambassador Thomas Pickering, Part 2
Ep1: Ambassador Thomas Pickering, Part 1
“Conversations with Nicholas Kralev” relies on sponsorship and contributions to remain free for viewers. If you like what you see, please consider making a pledge, so we can produce more episodes.
- Nicholas Kralev is an author and expert on diplomacy, world affairs and global travel. He hosts the weekly TV program "Conversations with Nicholas Kralev." A former Financial Times and Washington Times correspondent, he has traveled around the world with four U.S. secretaries of state — Hillary Clinton, Condoleezza Rice, Colin Powell and Madeleine Albright. He has flown over 2 million miles and visited 88 countries.
Subscribe to updates
Upcoming speaking engagements
APR 22, 2014 — BRATISLAVA, SLOVAKIA
APR 24, 2014 — RIGA, LATVIA
APR 28, 2014 — PRAGUE, CZECH REPUBLIC
MAY 5, 2014 — CHISINAU, MOLDOVA
- The best of my show’s first season
- How money in domestic politics affects U.S. diplomacy
- Once expelled, gay diplomat thrives in Foreign Service
- U.S. expects Syrian stockpile destroyed ahead of schedule
- Politics’ role in U.S.-Canada diplomacy
- From the peanut fields of Alabama to the Foreign Service
- Can diplomacy be taught?
- Asia still ‘distant third’ in U.S. priorities, ex-Obama official says
- U.S. calls on China to lift flight limits
- The royal family’s role in British diplomacy