Do politicians make good diplomats? On this week’s episode of “Conversations with Nicholas Kralev,” meet the Canadian ambassador to the United States, Gary Doer, a longtime politician who was most recently premier of the province of Manitoba.
Doer, in Washington since 2009, talks about Ottawa’s diplomatic priorities, the role of domestic politics in international diplomacy, and the impact of the recent government shutdown in Washington on the U.S. image abroad.
> Back to the show’s main page
“Conversations with Nicholas Kralev” relies on sponsorship and contributions to remain free for viewers. If you like what you see, please consider making a pledge, so we can produce more episodes.
Fmr. Undersecretary of State Thomas Pickering, Part 1
Figure-Skating Champion Michelle Kwan
Voice of America (VOA) Director David Ensor
Innovation in Managing Diplomatic Missions
Chief U.S. Aviation Negotiator Krishna Urs
Foreign Service Institute Director Nancy McEldowney
Canadian Ambassador to the United States Gary Doer
Advances for Gay American Diplomats (Jan Krc)
Fmr. Undersecretary of State Thomas Pickering, Part 2
U.S. Deputy Secretary of State William J. Burns
Foreign Service Director Linda Thomas-Greenfield
U.S. Global Sanctions Coordinator Daniel Fried
West Point Superintendent Lt. Gen. Robert Caslen
Harvard Professor Joseph Nye
- Nicholas Kralev is an author and expert on diplomacy, world affairs and global travel. He hosts the TV series "Conversations with Nicholas Kralev." A former Financial Times and Washington Times correspondent, he has traveled around the world with four U.S. secretaries of state — Hillary Clinton, Condoleezza Rice, Colin Powell and Madeleine Albright. He has flown over 2 million miles and visited more than 90 countries.
Subscribe to updates
- Australia’s security burden-sharing
- Is U.S.-India diplomatic strain over?
- Mapping out path in Foreign Service
- U.S. diplomats’ influence at home
- Exploring U.S.-Iran reconciliation
- Can Washington ever please Moscow?
- Running the world’s largest embassy
- When diplomacy befriends technology
- German envoy seeks to ‘rebuild trust’
- Does foreign aid help U.S. security?