Flying Blue, the frequent-flier program of Air France/KLM, has banned customer service agents from revealing the codes the airlines use when booking awards or upgrades. If you ask them, they will tell you it’s none of your business. Is this misplaced paranoia or do carriers have the right to keep that information secret?
For smart and sophisticated travelers, the importance of having access to raw airline data cannot be overstated. Benefiting from that access has changed my travel life — it has ensured that I always pay the lowest possible fares and fly in comfort and luxury at the same time. Booking codes, of course, use letters of the alphabet…
Trying to figure out how airlines determine fares is utterly futile, but that doesn’t necessarily dampen my curiosity. On a recent visit to the Star Alliance headquarters in Frankfurt, I sought insights into how the global group sets its popular round-the-world fares.
I always enjoy dropping by the alliance’s modest office — not only because it’s an easy walk from the airport terminal, but also because just about everything it does is unique and pioneering in the industry. With 27 member-carriers, one would think it’s a grand operation, so I was surprised that fewer than 80 people work there…
- Nicholas Kralev is an author and expert on diplomacy, world affairs and global travel. He hosts the weekly program "Conversations with Nicholas Kralev." A former Financial Times and Washington Times correspondent, he has traveled around the world with four U.S. secretaries of state — Hillary Clinton, Condoleezza Rice, Colin Powell and Madeleine Albright. He has flown over 2 million miles and visited 83 countries.
Subscribe to updates
JUN 26, 2013 — WASHINGTON, DC
OCT 03, 2013 — ATHENS, GREECE
OCT 07, 2013 — ANKARA, TURKEY
OCT 09, 2013 — ISTANBUL, TURKEY
OCT 15, 2013 — MADRID, SPAIN
OCT 17, 2013 — LISBON, PORTUGAL
NOV 08, 2013 — BERLIN, GERMANY
Click here for details
- Kerry’s deputy sees ‘reduced accountability’ of career employees
- U.S. issued record 8.9m visas in 2012
- Pickering decries ‘expanded’ political appointments at State
- My TV show premieres with Pickering on Benghazi
- Airlines abuse check-in deadlines
- The White House’s secret diplomatic weapon
- What makes a good secretary of state?
- Being good at raising money doesn’t make you a good diplomat
- Sink or swim
- America’s other army