A pushback from the military and a skeptical secretary of defense have dashed the hopes of some Obama administration officials for closer cooperation with a global war-crimes tribunal that some fear could prosecute American service members, current and former U.S. officials say.
Although the United States has rejoined the meetings of the International Criminal Court (ICC) member states after an eight-year absence, it has taken little new action to work more closely with the court. In fact, many international legal analysts argue that there was a more significant change in U.S. policy toward the ICC from the first to the second term of President George W. Bush than there has been since President Obama took office last year…
A dispute over the State Department budget has pitted the chairman of the Senate Budget Committee, Sen. Kent Conrad of North Dakota, against a fellow Democrat and head of the Foreign Relations Committee, Sen. John F. Kerry of Massachusetts, and the Obama administration.
Mr. Conrad led an effort to slash President Obama’s $58 billion international affairs request for 2011 by $4 billion, a cut his committee approved last week. Despite protests from Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton and all her living predecessors, the senator stood his ground on Wednesday.
- Nicholas Kralev is an author and expert on diplomacy, world affairs and global travel. He hosts the weekly program "Conversations with Nicholas Kralev." A former Financial Times and Washington Times correspondent, he has traveled around the world with four U.S. secretaries of state — Hillary Clinton, Condoleezza Rice, Colin Powell and Madeleine Albright. He has flown over 2 million miles and visited 83 countries.
Subscribe to updates
JUN 26, 2013 — WASHINGTON, DC
OCT 03, 2013 — ATHENS, GREECE
OCT 07, 2013 — ANKARA, TURKEY
OCT 09, 2013 — ISTANBUL, TURKEY
OCT 15, 2013 — MADRID, SPAIN
OCT 17, 2013 — LISBON, PORTUGAL
NOV 08, 2013 — BERLIN, GERMANY
Click here for details
- Kerry’s deputy sees ‘reduced accountability’ of career employees
- U.S. issued record 8.9m visas in 2012
- Pickering decries ‘expanded’ political appointments at State
- My TV show premieres with Pickering on Benghazi
- Airlines abuse check-in deadlines
- The White House’s secret diplomatic weapon
- What makes a good secretary of state?
- Being good at raising money doesn’t make you a good diplomat
- Sink or swim
- America’s other army